Thursday, April 06, 2006

General Things

We have been working on some general stuff here lately.
Jeff2 has been working the soil almost daily in the garden plot. There was lots of grass and weeds to be dealt with since the land has sat idle for over a decade. It is really looking good now. Hopefully after this latest cool spell we will be able to start getting seed in the ground. I am looking forward to seeing vegetable plants springing up. We are planning to do planting of some things in stages, so that not all of one crop is ready to harvest all at once. It will make the process of picking, canning and freezing a little easier not having to deal the total volume all at once.

The yard is really begining to look a whole lot nicer as well. Many years of semi-neglect had left it in need. Over grown bushes by the house have been trimmed, the one hugely over grown monstrosity taken out, strange looking things growing in front of windows cut down and a general clean up have made such a difference.
The grass is filling in nicely, and has already become to difficult to mow with the people powered lawn mower. So I had to admit defeat and get a gas powered lawn mower. That was a blow to my ego since I didn't want to have to depend on having gas to be able to mow the yard. I am still aching from the side I did do with push mower. I spend more time on that small section with the push mower than I did on the whole thing with the gas mower. It did n't help that I had to go over what I had already cut with the push mower because the cut was so uneven. But I got over my angst when I saw the finished product. It looks great.

I was going to go out this morning and do some more mowing outside the fence around the yard, but Jeff2 just looked at the radar and the rain that was expected this afternoon is already moving in, so that will have to wait until later.
I guess that I will have to find some inside things to do today, not that there is any lack of those things to do either. I have touch up painting to do, both in the kitchen and in the hallway. It has been a little while so the "sick of painting" syndrome has eased quite a bit, and I do want to see the touch ups done.

No comments: