Sunday, April 02, 2006

Local Flea Market

We had heard on our local radio station that one of the flea markets was due to open for the season this last Saturday. I love flea markets with the endless variety of goods, everything from junk to fresh local produce. So it was with much anticipation that we went. We were not dissapointed.
Saturday was a beautiful day with lots of sunshine, warm temperatures and a slight breeze. The flea market is held at the local drive in movie theater. ( The theater is due to open on the 14th )
Some enterprising souls had been busy in their greenhouses and there were fresh tomatoes and the like in one of the stalls. Then we came across a couple selling fresh, free range eggs. Just an unassuming little stall with nothing but cartons of eggs for sale. Curious, I asked how much they were selling the eggs for, and was surprised when they replied, $1.00 a dozen. I bought two.
We moved on looking at all the other stuff. Jeff2 found an older brace, which the stallholder sold to him for the price of $3.00.
A little further along the way we ran across another stall that had quite a variety of general stuff. I spied a canister set that was made to look like old milk cans. They are ceramic and generously sized. The price sticker said $6.00. As I picked one up to have a closer look the stall holder came up and said if I wanted them she would let them go for $5.00. Sold. Upon further inspection they were made by a local craftsman with their initials carved in the bottom. They are things of beauty. We will definately be going back there again, and often.

This morning I had some of those fresh eggs for breakfast. It was with much anticipation that I heated a pan over medium heat and then melted some butter in it. The eggs themselves were glorious, large brown objects of beauty. I cracked the first one open and was rewarded with a thing of true culinary joy. True to it being fresh it did not spread in the pan, and the yolk was a wonderful golden color. The other egg proved to be just as much a work of art. Carefully I seasoned them with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. I flipped them over, ever so gently, not being a fan of sunny side up. I had forgotten just how much flavor there is in fresh eggs. The palate does truly remember. I had not had fresh eggs since I left home lo those many eons ago.
For years I was not a fan of eggs, and if I ate them they were camoflaged in as many other flavors as I could come up with. These were fantastic with just the compliment of salt, pepper and butter. After the first incredible bite, I didn't just eat them, I savored them. Slowly. The only other thing I ate with them was some whole wheat toast with butter.
It was one of the best breakfasts that I have had in a very long time. I will be buying my eggs from now on from these people. At least until I have chickens of my own.

1 comment:

Morrigan said...

Thanks for the encouragement! I will keep updating with the goings on here.