Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Road Kill Cafe

It has long been a desire of mine to open a cafe. Not just your run of the mill cafe either. And definately not with haut cuisine. Real food. Home style real food.
I have even gone as far in my dreaming to work on menus and the like. I know I would never win any prizes with my food of choice, but if I had a clientel that was loyal, who cares about awards? Just seeing hungry people eat, be satisfied and come back again would be all the awards that I would need.
The menu would vary due to the seasons, call me crazy, (my hubby does) that certain things are more appriopriate to either cold or warm weather.
The Fall and Winter menu would feature things like Ham and Beans, Beef Stew, Chicken and dumplings, Sauerkraut and Sausages, Ribs in a hearty and slightly spicy/smokey sauce, Roasted whole chickens. Hearty, warm and fill your stomach and soul kinds of foods.
The Spring and Summer menu would have things like Fried Chicken and potato salad, various green salads and cole slaw. Grilled items like steak, seafoods and the like.
Always there would be homemade breads, pies and cakes. There would also be comfortable places to sit and drink coffee, or tea or whatever and visit with your friends. No time limit for how long you could sit at your table.
It would be a place where you could feel comfortable in your jeans and flannel shirt, the only dress code would be to keep your pants on........
The produce would be fresh and local, along with the butter, milk, eggs and cheese. I would also have an old fashioned soda fountain, remember those? The memories that brings back.

It would be a lot of hard work, but it would be so satisfying. I like nothing better than a reason to fire up my kitchen and cook and bake.

Ah, to dream...............

No comments: