Monday, January 09, 2006

Some Minor Demolition

We opened up the wall in the bathroom yesterday to uncover the window. What a difference it made to that cave of a room! Just some daylight coming through the window and it lost a lot of its' cold institutional feel. It also makes the room appear a little bigger, with the view of the trees and the pasture.
The lower pane is frosted so it was not like anybody could see in. Although even if it wasn't, it is unlikely that anybody would be in a position to peek in.
I am still at a loss as to why anybody would put a wall over a window...............

It was intresting (and messy) to cut through the tile, but we managed to get the biggest piece off intact. That sure made the clean up much easier.
Today we will be off to the home improvement store to get what we need to to frame in the window and water proof it.
We will still have a lot of work to do to that room, but this has made such a difference that I think I can wait for the warmer weather to tear the rest of the stuff out and replace it. It is in major need of an update.
When my hubby is installing the framing, I think I am going to be taking the chair rail, base boards, and that paneling/wallpaper out of the hallway. Then just some application of some spackle to cover the nail holes, and it will be about ready to paint. I just then have to soak the wallpaper trim off that was applied above the chair rail. It shouldn't be too dificult as I have been able to just peel some of it off.
To me those are some the worst elements that we have to deal with, at least inside. The exterior windows are a mess, mostly dirt though and some minor repair and they will be in good shape.
Since I love to have open windows, I am looking forward to this. With all the windows open in the summer, and the way the breeze funnels through this valley, I believe that the house will be quite comfortable in the summer months.

1 comment:

BoysMom said...

Our old rental place, the landlord had covered over the window in order to put in the shower-bath. We could see the window from the enclosed back porch, and look through at the back of the shower-bath.